Welcome

The intent of Pilgrim Processing is to provide commentary on the Daily Lectionary from the 1979 Book of Common Prayer. The format for the comment is Old Testament Lesson first, Gospel, and Epistle with a portion of one of the Psalms for the day as a prayer at the end.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hearing the voice of the Lord

One of our lessons for tomorrow is Psalm 29, one of my favorite passages. I was in Rwanda several years ago and a bishop told me at 3 in the afternoon on Saturday that I would be preaching the next morning in the cathedral church. I had no idea what to preach to a congregation of people who had lived through genocide and basically opened the Bible randomly and this Psalm caught my attention, all about the voice of the Lord and its power.

As I thought about that passage I was in the midst of trying to figure out what the Lord was saying to me as far as my future was concerned. I read that passage and just started wondering if the voice of the Lord could make the wilderness shake and the strip the forests bare why could I not hear Him tell me what to do. It's hard to know sometimes what He's saying although I got the short-term clarity I needed that time.

What I ended up preaching is that as far as I can tell there are four words we can always depend on as having come from Him, "Follow me" and "Fear not." They seem like a paradox in that if I agree to follow the Lord whose voice brought forth all that is and who can do the things I read about in Scripture why would He ever need to say "Fear not." It seems like that would be the safest place in the world, what is there to fear. It isn't a paradox though. Think about it and tomorrow I will say more about why.

No comments: