Welcome

The intent of Pilgrim Processing is to provide commentary on the Daily Lectionary from the 1979 Book of Common Prayer. The format for the comment is Old Testament Lesson first, Gospel, and Epistle with a portion of one of the Psalms for the day as a prayer at the end.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 24 2013




The writer sees that those who are righteous will have the last word.  Can we see the Beatitudes writ large in this passage?  Blessing sometimes waits until the final judgment to be seen but that which is seen is no less real and it has also the benefit of being both final and eternal.  Suffering in this life for righteousness sake is to be taken for granted, beginning with Genesis 3 isn't it?  Once sin entered the world, we all have a problem with righteousness.  What was intended to define life is now countercultural.  We have chosen ourselves as king rather than God, both in our lives and in our culture.  Those who live according to righteousness are not guaranteed prosperity and popularity, in fact quite the opposite is guaranteed.  Are we living for today or forever?

But Jesus, aren't we then doormats and patsies to the world?  If I love those who hate me, offer to allow them to strike me on both cheeks, give more than demanded by wicked people, others will think less of me, I will lose my self-respect and the respect of those near to me.  I will look weak in the eyes of the world and ultimately I will have everything taken from me.  In this, I show that I am not living for this world, I am ultimately strong enough to choose, and then I can be merciful as He is merciful.  Only the stronger party can extend mercy.  We are loved by the one whose enemies we once were, we strike Him on the cheek when we choose sin over righteousness, we are the ones in need of His mercy.  Can we then hate others who do to us what we do to Him?  We are, ultimately, no better.  If we would see the world changed, it must begin with us, we must be like Jesus who did all these things at the cross, and in what looked like weakness we see His strength and love, we find salvation, mercy, and truly amazing grace.

I have never once said, "I rejoice in my sufferings."  Paul, however, knew that his suffering was for Christ, revealing to those in Colossae that the sufferings of Jesus were only the beginning, that He did not take all suffering on Himself in order that we might not suffer.  Paul is quite clear that there is nothing for Him but Christ, and anything else is no more than folly and vanity.  It is all about Jesus, the mystery of God.  Sometimes I hear people say they are seeking after the deep things of God and Paul would laugh at that idea.  The deep mystery of God is Jesus, the Messiah who died for the sins of the world.  Christ is the glory of God, the wisdom of God, the image of God, the righteousness of God and Christ in you is the hope of glory.  As the Gershwins musically asked, "Who could ask for anything more?"

No comments: